ILUSTRASI. Foto udara bayangan salib di pemakaman Parque Taruma, di tengah penyebaran penyakit virus korona (COVID-19) di Manaus, Brazil, Senin (15/6/2020). REUTERS/Bruno Kelly
KONTAN.CO.ID - June 21 (Reuters) - The coronavirus pandemic is accelerating, with Thursday's 150,000 new cases the highest in a single day and nearly half of those in the Americas, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.
Death and Infections
* More than 8.81 million people have been reported to be infected by the coronavirus globally and 462,960 have died, a Reuters tally showed as of 0400 GMT on Sunday.
* Spain said it would allow in British tourists from Sunday without requiring them to spend two weeks in quarantine, opening up to one of its largest tourism markets after the hit from the coronavirus pandemic.
* The coronavirus reproduction rate in Germany has jumped to 1.79 after a raft of localised outbreaks, the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for public health said on Saturday, far above the level needed to contain it over the longer term.
* British finance minister Rishi Sunak signalled that the government is poised to relax its two-metre social distancing rule for England which businesses have said in its current form would slow their recovery from the coronavirus lockdown.
* U.S. President Donald Trump told thousands of cheering supporters he had asked U.S. officials to slow down coronavirus testing, calling it a "double-edged sword" that led to more cases being discovered. A White House official said Trump was joking with his call for a slowdown.
* Nearly 50,000 people have died from the coronavirus in Brazil, the world No. 2 hotspot, with 1,022 fatalities in the last 24 hours, the Health Ministry said.